Monday, December 15, 2008

Forty Year Old Journals from 1968 Lead to Questions

Hmmm, now just why haven't I been blogging lately? I spent more time on the Obama campaign then I planned but was verrry happy. Then went searching in old hand written journals from prior olympic games and spent long hours reading. The old journals made me more interested in some of the history of the olympics. I would open a journal and find myself reliving history. Nothing quite like a book, especially an old book, you open the cover...and it lives, present tense, once again! Therefore, I spent time researching or reviewing and refreshing my mind about many journal topics as well as the olympics. What fun.

Also, I am "in between computers". Since my six year old laptop, that was constantly used in my classroom with a big screen, finally is acting strange I decided to clean out old pre-internet computers. Sheez. Before leaping ahead to the future must clean out some oldies but goodies.(Hey, these old computers have some great "reliving" as well.)

I will continue to come to the library to go online briefly until I replace my faithful old laptop in 2009.

One of the topics that interests me now was a topic that never really got understood during the Mexico Olympics, the student protests. I spoke to a few people about them. Some wanted to change the topic. Some of these students felt they had a leader, unlike Fox, and felt they needed to have more freedom of speech and, quite simply, more power as human beings. Those who were there said the students were peaceful, very peaceful. Some believe that the riot was not started by the students. Over forty years have passed and there is still a difference of opinion about how many students were killed and and how some of their bodies went missing. Perhaps some of the families could never properly give their children dignity in death because of their fear or perhaps because some of their childrens remains went missing they lived for years, not knowing. Perhaps we can learn the truth of this some day.

No comments: