Sunday, March 1, 2009

Between Mexico '68 and Munich '72

One of the years prior to Munich '72 was the busiest year in my father's business so was happy to help home at the Jersey Shore. Then my home became Ipanema Beach, adjacent to Rio de Janeiro, where I taught sixth grade at the Escola Americana and became a TV English teacher with a little puppet for Channel #9.  Such a buzz it was...to be on the beach after school and have requests for autographs.  Inflation was high, but Bob's was always busy!  Managed to enjoy not only Brazil but Paraguay, Uraguay, Argentina, Iguacu Falls, Brasilia...and because Brazil won the world cup in June we had an extra carnival that year.  It was Father's Day in USA so my dad came to Brazil!  It was glorious.  He wrote from atop Sugar Loaf to my mom, "This is the closest to heaven that I have ever been."  And the Carnival continued, banks closed, school closed but dance and music celebrations were open for all.

No comments: