Sunday, October 30, 2011

Two Summer Olympics Not Attended

A few posts back I mentioned that I would explain how I missed two Summer Olympics during the nineteen eighties.  Quite simply, my babies had priority.  I gave birth to my son Don in 1979 and to my daughter in 1981.

Most of you know that there were three Oympics during that decade '80, '84 and '88.  Oh how fortunate for us that the '84 Games came to Southern California.  The freeways were wide open between Dana Point and Los Angeles.  Yes, incredibly wide open.

Prior to the games went to Long Beach Post Office to purchase first day issue sailing post cards so we would have something to trade.

Prepared my home for company beforehand.  Even had a loft built in order to be able to house family and friends.  Had my mother come from the East Coast and my sister and her children come from the Northwest, Tacoma, Washington.

As always, Opening Ceremony tickets were difficult.  But for some reason, these were more difficult than ever.  So we stayed outside the coliseum and gave the only ticket we had to the most important person in our group, my mom.  Was that a good decision?  Yes indeed.  And I reaped even more pleasure from it when I would hear her rave about it for the rest of her life!  Opah!!!


No comments: