Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Graduation, Lanakai Beach Day and a Great Olympic Invention

Glorious ceremonialism at the University of Hawaii this week during Marion Cadora's graduation from grad school.  Am so proud of my daughter's achievements.  Even though the ceremony was long it was delightful.  My son flew in from New York.  We were with a spirited group from HK, Marion's hale.  We went to post celebrations on campus and for me to have both of my awesome kids in one place was pure bliss.

And what beach was the best beach to chill and relax after all the pomp and parties?  Lanakai.

We met Carmen Enriquez and her daughter at Buzz's in Lanakai for a delicious lunch before the beach.  Both mother and daughter, Eva, are from Spain.  Carmen, a journalist, worked with Juan Carlos of Spain who was on the Olympic sailing team in 1992.  (Very much a part of the Olympic movement.)  Eva, fun-loving Eva, who also graduated, is a good friend of my daughter's.

At lunch interesting conversations flowed.  Among the topics was "inventions".  Later as we walked to the amazing beach at Lanakai, we saw that there were no trees to give a bit of shade.  In my beach bag I pulled out one of my favorite inventions that I've been carrying around now and then since the summer Olympics of '92.

Because it is often hot and sunny at the summer games, finding shade is desirable indeed.  Around '92, someone came up with an idea to assist the Olympic fans for the Barcelona games.  Someone from "la Caixa" funded the idea.

It was a large hat, a light weight paper hat, that could be folded up so small that it could fit into a small cd sleeve.  So small therefore easy to transport.  (I believe it was made in Korea and am not sure who came up with the idea.)

So Eva, Marion, Carmen, Don and I drove then walked to a beautiful spot on this heavenly v e r y sunny beach.  "Finding shade was desirable indeed."  So I reached in my beach bag for my protection, a very small item that became very large indeed!

Along with the popping open of that protective head cover, came laughter and giggles of recognition of "la Caixa" and the wonderful Olympics in Spain twenty years ago!

Great invention, great day, great functional Olympic memorabilia!  : )


No comments: