Sunday, August 4, 2013

Great Olympic Fan, Eleanor Weems, World War II Pilot Flying Higher

This incredibly awesome woman, my 'California Mum', is one of the reasons I am writing this blog. It has been Eleanor's great enthusiasm for the entire Olympic movement that first got me interested in the games during the summer my sister and I lived with her family many years ago.

Her daughter, Frances, phoned me Friday to tell me her mom, (96 years old), was not responding.

Could do nothing else but head to be with her in Newport Beach, California.

After being by her side through the night last night, breathing with her, Fran and I went a few blocks away to 8:00 A.M. Sunday Mass at the little chapel on Balboa Island.

At 8:35 A.M. this morning, exactly when we were receiving Holy Communion, Eleanor left her earthly body. In her time...in His time.

Our World War II pilot passed beyond the clouds she once flew in.

She's now flying higher...stronger.




No comments: