Thursday, April 30, 2009

Munich '72 Olympic

Olga from Russia was "the queen" of gymnastics. An incredibly talented athlete who was falling in love with the world and the world was falling in love with her. The Press got her right. Every time I was close to her she bounced and bubbled with excitement whether she was at a venue or in the athlete's village. Although many spectators cheered for their own country, she belonged to everyone in 1972.

Mark Spitz "the king" of swimming was also admired by all. Everyone who I spoke with in Munich would express how amazed they were of his swimming ability. And after he won his seventh gold medal I was one of the few people in the athlete's village who was able to speak with him before his rapid departure from the village to the Munich Airport because they feared for his life after Black Tuesday.

One of the most impressive spiritual events that I have ever attended is the Memorial Service at the main olympic stadium after Black Tuesday. Mama Graf warned me not to go because she was worried about my safety. Afterwards I was sorry I did not insist that she go with me. I felt that the whole world was grieving.

No comments: