Sunday, August 17, 2008

From the Tennis Greats to Phelps Day

Well today is Phelps Day, and screams of glee filled the air in our hutong. No doubt they could hear our crowd cheer from here to The Cube! A bit close for comfort but we are, and quite sure you are, thrilled for him...such a good person. I had another flashback from former Olympic Games. This time it was of meeting and talking with Mark Spitz right after his seventh gold medal in Munich ‘72. He was whisped away to safety so quickly afterwards that I don’t know anyone else who saw him. It was inside the Olympic Village where the athlete’s live. Out in an almost empty area between the athletes’ lounge and the dorm area my path crossed his. He was with two others and am quite sure one of them was his coach. Even though he couldn’t stay long enough to enjoy his fame, he was happy to hear my exclamation of congratulations. I usually do not collect autographs but after our picture was taken together, he signed a few of my olympic tickets and minutes later he was driven to the airport in Munich.

I am writing from a small lovely Tibetan Cafe near our hostel. There is a Russian family next to me and they just came over to my window table to tell me that they were going to frame the little present that I just gave them. It was one of the Atlanta Olympic accreditation tickets from when I worked for Atlanta Olympic Broadcasting in ‘96. They were so appreciative I reached in my backpack to find another present, afirst day issue olympic sailing post card from LA ‘84. (The dad was Sergey Ushakov of Aeroflot.)

The music in this cafe is just about as peaceful as the Dalai Lama. My favorite music here in Beijing so far, other than the music of the Opening Ceremony, was in a Mongolian Bar on Friday night. Anyway, at 1:00 AM Mongolian folk music filled my ears as I was walking by a Mongolian bar and feeling so grateful for another incredible day. I don’t think anyone who loves music could pass by this place without stopping. These ancient glorious sounds kept me from heading directly home. We all were almost mesmerized by this music. Then, close to 2:00 AM and who walks in but one of my dorm mates, Roberta, with three South African Broadcasters! How could I leave! They were sooo much fun and besides Roberta had only two days left in Beijing. I just had to stay. It was another 3:00 AM er.

Saturday was Tennis day for me...yes Venus and Serena and all. A couple from the Holland came into the lounge of our hostel and asked who would like to go to the tennis games. They had a couple of tickets. Like all Olympics whether you work the games or not, it is HOW TO GET to the venues and how to get home again! "Like all Olympics" I say, but especially these Olympics. If you have two events in one day, often you cannot and should not try to make another. It is better to just enjoy the activities on the way and on the way home...if you can. Getting there AND getting back is challenging. I gave Victor from Recife the other ticket and off we went, pronto, this time finding a cab. And it was a great day. Yesss Seth...Auntie Carole is ALSO cheering on Netherlands!!!

1 comment:

mauisc said...

Carole
You have my vote for official US Ambassador to the world. How fortunate these people are to cross your path. Yes the Phelps run for the gold was emotional. I sat in my living room last night yelling pull, pull at the top of my lungs. I am sure you could hear it in China as the men's relay team helped him win his 8th.
Keep the blogs coming. I so enjoy reading them.
Hugs to you as you continue your trip of goodwill.
Sallie